Kane-ing It Down a Flowerbed


    I always get a little uneasy when people say things like "I can't wait for your review!".  As if I'm equipped enough to 'review' a collection properly.  AS IF I have that sort of knowledge and know-how to pass judgement on someone else's work in a way that supposedly matters to a designer.  Nay, all I can muster is just another opinion and it doesn't matter a jot in the scheme of the fashion pecking order which I'm perfectly happy about.  
    I haven't talked in depth about Christopher Kane's work since his early neon lace basically because the Scot had me at fluoro pink lace combined with a chunky zipper, and really, I haven't looked back since, loving his output of work on some level or another.  I can't keep the trap shut though about his latest A/W 10-11 collection which seems to have divided opinion somewhat judging by some weets I've seen.  
    It's a pretty forward-gut feeling where word diarrhoea is compelled to come out.  I was jolted after the show and whilst purely on an aesthetic level, it all spoke to me - beautiful embroidery sitting on an unexpected background in all the right places - what I think hit me the most was how it resonated with my own sentiments about contrasts and notions of mixing and matching.  That, boxing me up into a niche is quite possibly the worse thing you could do and likewise, these flowers that on a piece of white muslin would look rather fey and twee, on a slick bit of PVC or a lean and taut leather dress, it all becomes a different story.  Kane's never been one to be boxed into an aesthetic of course, playing with disparate motifs each season but it seems with this A/W 10-11 collection, the message is even more forceful: "Don't run around resting on laurels and cliches!", or at least, that's the message that I'd like to think it came with.  The so-called new minimal movement may be coming in thick and fast thanks to Phoebe Philo at Celine but I'm grateful to those that will have the conviction to think that an embroidered dandelion on some black PVC could ever be a viable combination and as a result away runs away with it so much that it goes to a place that will divide opinion (though I guarantee, getting up close and personal with that embroidery will melt the hearts of naysayers).  It goes without saying that the whole collection has me beadily watching the bank account but that is of course the superfluous conclusion when at the core of it, what I'm really trying to say is that Kane's daring slapped me in the face as if to say "Don't fear, just enjoy my deranged flowerbed walk..."
    P.S. I very nearly hyper-ventilated when I was touching up the embroidered patent biker jacket above but I think I outdid my own methods of hyper-ventilation when I got a sneak peek of the Versus collection Christopher Kane (saw the Versace rehearsal too which is equally hot...) has done which will be presented this Sunday.  Obviously, no pics until then but it's a giant mass of hot potato and daaang, you just can't touch the hotness.


    MoniCa singhSource URL: http://bloomfineart.blogspot.com/2010/02/kane-ing-it-down-flowerbed.html
    Visit Everything in one place for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive